[libav-tools] Getting Started with avprobe

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sat Nov 28 17:12:05 CET 2015

On 23/11/15 18:06, Maximilian Berthold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my name is Max, I am a student from Germany, working on an algorithm for
> detection of Blocking artefacts.
> Is there a comprehensible tutorial on how to get started with avprobe?

avprobe is a quite simple tool to print information about media streams.

it is mainly

avprobe [options] [‘input_file’]

where options (as documented [here][1])

‘-f format’

     Force format to use.
‘-of formatter’

     Use a specific formatter to output the document. The following
formatters are available

     ‘ini’
     ‘json’
     ‘old’

         Pseudo-INI format that used to be the only one available in old
avprobe versions.

‘-unit’

     Show the unit of the displayed values.
‘-prefix’

     Use SI prefixes for the displayed values. Unless the
"-byte_binary_prefix" option is used all the prefixes are decimal.
‘-byte_binary_prefix’

     Force the use of binary prefixes for byte values.
‘-sexagesimal’

     Use sexagesimal format HH:MM:SS.MICROSECONDS for time values.
‘-pretty’

     Prettify the format of the displayed values, it corresponds to the
options "-unit -prefix -byte_binary_prefix -sexagesimal".
‘-show_format’

     Show information about the container format of the input multimedia
stream.

     All the container format information is printed within a section
with name "FORMAT".
‘-show_format_entry name’

     Like ‘-show_format’, but only prints the specified entry of the
container format information, rather than all. This option may be given
more than once, then all specified entries will be shown.
‘-show_packets’

     Show information about each packet contained in the input
multimedia stream.

     The information for each single packet is printed within a
dedicated section with name "PACKET".
‘-show_streams’

     Show information about each media stream contained in the input
multimedia stream.

     Each media stream information is printed within a dedicated section
with name "STREAM".

for example

avprobe -of json -pretty -show_format -show_streams sintel.mkv

produces something such as

{  "format" : {
     "filename" : "sintel.mkv",
     "nb_streams" : 12,
     "format_name" : "matroska,webm",
     "format_long_name" : "Matroska / WebM",
     "start_time" : "0:00:00.000000",
     "duration" : "0:14:48.032000",
     "size" : "4.197Gibyte",
     "bit_rate" : "0bit/s"
   },
   "streams" : [
     {
       "index" : 0,
       "codec_name" : "h264",
       "codec_long_name" : "H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10",
       "codec_type" : "video",
       "codec_time_base" : "1/48",
       "codec_tag_string" : "[0][0][0][0]",
       "codec_tag" : "0x0000",
       "profile" : "High",
       "width" : 4096,
       "height" : 1744,
       "coded_width" : 4096,
       "coded_height" : 1744,
       "has_b_frames" : 2,
       "sample_aspect_ratio" : "1:1",
       "display_aspect_ratio" : "256:109",
       "pix_fmt" : "yuv420p",
       "level" : 51,
       "color_range" : "tv",
       "color_space" : "bt709",
       "color_trc" : "unknown",
       "color_pri" : "unknown",
       "chroma_loc" : "left",
       "avg_frame_rate" : "24/1",
       "time_base" : "1/1000",
       "start_time" : "0:00:00.000000",
       "duration" : "N/A",
       "tags" : {
         "language" : "eng"
       }
     },
     {
       "index" : 1,
       "codec_name" : "ac3",
       "codec_long_name" : "ATSC A/52A (AC-3)",
       "codec_type" : "audio",
       "codec_time_base" : "1/48000",
       "codec_tag_string" : "[0][0][0][0]",
       "codec_tag" : "0x0000",