[libav-tools] Getting Started with avprobe

Maximilian Berthold maximilian.berthold at tu-ilmenau.de
Mon Nov 23 18:06:45 CET 2015

Hi,

my name is Max, I am a student from Germany, working on an algorithm for
detection of Blocking artefacts.
Is there a comprehensible tutorial on how to get started with avprobe?
I have been trying to get the tool to give me some information about a
short video clip. But as of now I have not been able to get it to do
anything.
The results range from error messages telling me to "specify input file"
to "no such file or directory" when the filename and path are definitly
correct.

I am assuming that these problem spring from my own ignorance... but to
be honest the documentation is not helping (for example there is the
option "-i" showing up everywhere... but apparently that is so obvious
that it needs no further explaination).

As for the "Master Plan" of my project:
The idea is to write a python program using PyAV to get some information
about individual pictures (for example the location of macroblocks) and
use them to detect possible Blcoking Artefacts.

Can anyone give me a pointer on where to start?

Regards,

Max