[libav-tools] Replacing video with a still image at specific points

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Wed Jul 15 11:42:51 CEST 2015

On 15/07/15 05:23, Chris Angelico wrote:
> I have a video of a talking head, which I wish to replace at certain
> points with still images (slides, if you like), for X seconds. The
> 'overlay' filter seems to be most of what I want, and I can ensure
> that all the images are the same size as the video itself (which means
> they completely cover the image). But after poking around in the man
> page and on the internet, the best I can come up with is this:

probably you can take the two inputs, one for the image with continuous
loop and the other for the video and use overlay and select filters (see
https://libav.org/documentation/avconv.html#select)

The input image would be a constant stream and you use select to decide
when to insert it and for how long.

Could you please give me the output of the mpegts avconv with -v debug ?
that part sounds quite fishy.