[libav-tools] Choosing a default audio/subtitles track

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 12:47:33 CEST 2015

Video files can contain multiple audio and/or subtitles tracks. When I
play them in VLC Media Player, I can select at run-time, but one of
them is always selected by default. With files that I create myself,
that's invariably the first audio track and the last subtitles (why
the inconsistency? I don't know), but some other files have apparently
specified a different default. How do I do this?

My command line currently looks something like this:

avconv -y -i movie.mkv -i foo.wav -i bar.wav -i foo.srt -i bar.srt
-map 0:v -map 1:a -map 2:a -map 3:s -map 4:s -c:v copy -c:s copy
CombinedOutput.mkv

Maybe I'm just looking for the wrong keywords, so if anyone can tell
me the proper name for what I'm trying to do here, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Chris Angelico