[libav-tools] Does libav-tools handle ATSC closed captions?

skyscanner at gmx.ca skyscanner at gmx.ca
Fri Nov 28 00:14:20 CET 2014

Here is my problem.  I am currently using a Mac program called VideoMonkey to convert ATSC format TV programs received from a satellite source into smaller mp4 files.  When VideoMonkey does the conversion, this is the way it calls ffmpeg:

 "/Applications/VideoMonkey.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ffmpeg" -threads 4 -y -i "Source_path_and_name.ts" -s 1920x1088 -aspect 1920:1088 -r 29.97 -vcodec libx264 -b:v 16711680 -pix_fmt yuv420p -async 50 -acodec libvo_aacenc -ar 48000 -ac 2 -ab 128000  -vpre ffpresets/libx264-medium  -vpre ffpresets/libx264-baseline  "Destination_path_and_name.mp4"

I do not understand all the options, but this makes the video playable on a lower powered computer that I have.  However there is one problem, there are closed captions in the original file (which can be seen using the subtitles option in VLC, as an example) but in the destination file they are missing.  My understanding is that ffmpeg cannot handle ATSC closed captions properly, and I was just wondering if avconv is any better in that regard.  Do you think that avconv could do this, and if so, do you know what options I would need to use to achieve a similar effect?

Note that the output does not necessarily need to be mp4, but VideoMonkey does not give the user any choice.  For my purposes it would probably work just as well if it stayed in the original .ts format.

TL;DR: Does avconv support ATSC closed captions?