[libav-tools] Accurate Seeking without Re-encoding

Steven D skwaap at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 19:26:02 CET 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to accurately (not just nearest keyframe) cut out a subtrack of
an mp4 without having to re-encode the *entire* subtrack.

It seems like overkill to re-encode everything just to get a few additional
seconds of accuracy at the beginning.  Is there a good way to avoid this?
I'm perfectly happy to re-encode a bit of the subtrack, I just don't want
to have to re-encode everything.

My current thought was to re-encode from an accurate start point to the
next keyframe, then copy from the keyframe to the end of the subtrack, and
then concatenate the pieces somehow.  So far I haven't had much luck with
this.

Thanks in advance!