[libav-tools] joining rtsp stream: Range values

Ben Barker ben at bbarker.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 00:16:25 CET 2014

Hi,

I have a video source (Hikvision IP camera) whose stored recordings can be
accessed via rtsp.
It appears thought that a particular recording can only be accessed by
using the appropriate
"Range...." in the rtsp PLAY message sent from the client to the camera.

 By setting the "-ss" parameter, I can  set the Range value to:

"Range: npt=....."

Unfortunately it seems that this camera requires the range to be specified
not in offset from the start of the file (npt - which it ignores), but
using absolute time:

"Range: clock="

According to the rtsp rfc, the above is valid, but so far as I can tell
avconv does not allow for this to be specified when joining the stream? Any
ideas?