[libav-tools] Streaming delay/lag

Frédéric Sallé salle.frederic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:58:16 CET 2013

Hello All,

I'm trying to to provide a realtime video streams to a third party
application (for test purpose I'm using avplay as the client). The source
and server are both running ubuntu 12.04.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing a large delay between the source and the
client. If I'm not able to fix this I will have to find another solution.

So far I'm streaming a webcam with the command line:
avconv -s vga -r 30 -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -vcodec mpeg4 -b 50000k
http://serverhost:8090/camera1.ffm

And the config of avserver is:

Port 8090
BindAddress 0.0.0.0
MaxHTTPConnections 2000
MaxClients 1000
MaxBandwidth 10000000
CustomLog -

<Feed camera1.ffm>
    File ./camera1.ffm
</Feed>

<Stream camera1.mpg>
    Format rtp
    Feed camera1.ffm
    NoAudio
    RTSPPort 1234
    NoLoop
</Stream>

<Stream stat.html>
    Format status
</Stream>

The stream is displayed with
avplay rtsp://serverhost:1234/camera1.mpg

There is always a delay of 2 to 10s (it's constant by random at startup)
between the source and the display.
I used the 0.8.4 version but I got the same result with the latest git
version (plus few minor bugs).

I tried many options during the last 2 days and you are now my last hope :-)

Could somebody tell me what the issue is and directions to solve it ?

Thank you,
Frederic