[libav-tools] avconv - converting VOB to MPG strips audio

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sun Jan 20 15:01:44 CET 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:50:31 +0000
James Gibbon <jg at jamesgibbon.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to convert VOBs losslessly to MPEG files - like this:
>
>   $ avconv -i INPUT.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy OUTPUT.mpg
>
> - but I end up with an mpeg video with no audio.

OK, apologies - I tried playing with Totem, and there IS audio in
there. Both smplayer and avidemux complain that the OUTPUT.mpg
as derived above has no audio track. But Totem says, under 'Audio'
in Properties:

Codec: Dolby Digital (AC-3)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 192 kbps

That's exactly what it says for the output video generated by
avidemux, yet smplayer will play the audio for that one (and
more importantly, so will my network media player).

How can I get avconv to do the same thing, without re-encoding
the audio? I'm trying to keep things lossless.

Thanks,
James