[libav-tools] avconv - converting VOB to MPG strips audio

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sun Jan 20 12:50:31 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to convert VOBs losslessly to MPEG files - like this:

  $ avconv -i INPUT.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy OUTPUT.mpg

- but I end up with an mpeg video with no audio.

I can do this easily in avidemux by selecting COPY for video,
COPY for audio and MPEG-PS (A+V) - that works nicely and gives me
just what I want. But I want to use a command line method that I
can plug into a script, because I have a substantial number of
VOBs to process. Furthermore I'd like to know why it doesn't work!

Tried ffmpeg by the way - with the same command line options, but
it gives exactly the same result - a silent MPEG.

Any ideas?

I'm using:

avconv version 0.8.4-4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, built on Nov  6
2012 16:50:25 with gcc 4.6.3

Grateful for any help.
James