[libav-tools] Windows avconv `error while opening encoder for output stream`

Dave Lasley dave at dlasley.net
Fri Feb 8 04:33:35 CET 2013

Hello,

I am getting the error

    error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 -

      maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width, or height

When I run the below command on Windows Avconv v9-406-ga1d3673

    Z:Programs\\Windows\\libav-win64-20130207\\usr\\bin\\avconv.exe -i ^

    "Z:\\2-renamed\\Abduction.mkv" -passlogfile "Abduction.mkv.log" -b:v
13845000 ^

    -level 41 -vcodec libx264 -an -preset veryslow -sn -y -tune film -pass 1
^

    -f rawvideo -y NUL

I have searched around, and the universal solution is that you have to
specify the audio/video bit rates along with the audio/video codecs when
using two pass encoding. Unfortunately, I am already doing this with the
`-an` (no audio), `-b:v 13845000`, and `-vcodec libx264`.

>From the stream number, I am thinking that this is the video stream that is
failing. I figured that avconv wasn't able to find my x264 binary, but the
command works if I remove `-pass 1`.

An additional note - this command works with no issues on my Ubuntu box
(avconv version 0.8.5-6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1), and the failure is
consistent between files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hopefully it's just my stupidity with
Windows ;)

Thank you,

David Lasley