[libav-tools] Can I know the exact time a frame coming from an RTSP stream was dumped into a file?

Hector Blanco white.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 19:30:25 CET 2013

Hello everyone.

I am dumping an RSTP stream into a file using avconv:

avconv -f rtsp -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://user@password/
192.168.1.4/stream.cgi -t 10 -c:v libx264 -s 1024x768 -an
/home/borrajax/Videos/capture.mp4

When I execute that command, avconv seems to wait for a few... seconds (if
so) and then starts recording. I'm guessing it's bufferring and/or waiting
for a keyframe.

I'd like to know if I can get the exact time when the first frame was
dumped into the destination file. (milliseconds, if it were possible) I
need to synchronize the video with some other timestamped events, and I
need it to be as precise as possible.

Another workaround that would work great for me would be (instead of trying
to get the exact time of the first frame) telling avconv something like "do
whatever buffering or waiting that you need to do, but make sure the first
frame is dumped at EXACTLY this time". Although that seems a bit more.

Is there any way of accomplishing this?

Any clue or hint in the right direction will be appreciated. Thank you in
advance.