[libav-tools] Looking for HTTP authentication solution for fragmented streaming (HTTP)

Joshua Rubingh joshua at jet-stream.nl
Tue Aug 27 16:54:52 CEST 2013

Luca Barbato schreef op 2013-08-25 14:16:
> On 23/08/13 09:10, Joshua Rubingh wrote:
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
>> <title>401 Authorization Required</title>
>> </head><body>
>> <h1>Authorization Required</h1>
>> are authorized to access the document
>> requested.  Either you supplied the wrong
>> credentials (e.g., bad password), or your
>> browser doesn't understand how to supply
>> the credentials required.</p>
>> <hr>
>> <address>Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) DAV/2 IISMS/4.0 PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.20
>> with Suhosin-Patch Server at usp.origin2.trunk.jgr.devel.jet-stream.nl
>> Port 80</address>
>>
>> So is this a bug?
>
> Not sure, could you please provide a dump of the whole communication in
> text form (wireshark does that easily) when it fails (with avconv) and
> when it succeeds (using another tool)

I did, but that is rejected due to the size limit of mail message size.
So I have to upload the file to another location.

But the response of Apache happens when I stop avconv. So avconv just
keeps on pushing the data. And when that stops either manual or when the
source is done, it then receives the 401 error header. So avconv should
first check if HTTP authentication is needed. Or should always add the
authentication information when it is in the push url.

Here is the full log of avconv (10MB):
http://rrr.sz.xlcdn.com/?account=demo&file=avconv-authentication-error.tcpdump.txt&type=download&service=apache&output=download

Here the full log of Microsoft Expression Encoder (3.2MB):
http://rrr.sz.xlcdn.com/?account=demo&file=expression-encoder.tcpdump.txt&type=download&service=apache&output=download

Expression encoder does first an intial post, and sees that there is
authentication needed. It does than an new post with the authentication
information. When that is ok, it starts pushing the streaming.

I hope that this will help solving the authentication error with avconv
and HTTP push streaming.

Kind regards,
Joshua