[libav-tools] high quality conversion of mp4 to webm

Viktor Nagy v at pulilab.com
Mon Apr 15 08:46:07 CEST 2013

Hi,

I would like to get a high quality conversion of mp4 videos to webm, but
I'm far from an avconv expert.

Currently, I'm using the dumbest command:

$ avconv -i myfile.mp4 -f webm -o myfile.wem

and the output is clearly far from optimal, while the file size has dropped
to ~5% (from 71MB to 4MB).

I'm using Ubuntu. In its file manager I've checked the audio/video
properties of the files.

The original file has

video:
dimension: 640x360
codecs: H.264/AVC
FPS: 30
bitrate: 5018 kbps

audio:
codec: mpeg-4 aac
stereo
48000Hz
253kbps

The new file has

video:
dimension: 640x360
codecs: On2 VP8
FPS: 30
bitrate: N/A

audio:
codec: Vorbis
stereo
48000Hz
112kbps

I've tried -b 5018k and -qscale 1, but neither of them provided better
quality.

Could someone help me with finding the best command, please?

Viktor

--
Viktor Nagy
Team Leader @ Pulilab