[libav-tools] AAC encoded files show "0 kbps" average bitrate.

Oliver Hookins oliver at soundcloud.com
Thu Oct 4 12:27:44 CEST 2012

> From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org>
>
> On 10/02/2012 02:35 PM, Oliver Hookins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been doing some testing of AAC encoded audio files with both
> > avconv and the Nero AAC encoder tool and have been having some trouble
> > playing them back. I'm not sure if this is a red-herring or not but
> > all of the files generated by avconv report the average bitrate of the
> > files as zero, despite showing a non-zero average during encoding
> > progress:
> >

> Which player has problems? Picking the patch now btw.

JWplayer (http://www.longtailvideo.com/players). My main use case is
progressive-download playback over the web so I have been doing all my
testing over HTTP. Specifically though, since AAC support in browsers
is patchy at best, most players like this one just use Flash to play
it back. Flash in this case is reporting that the net stream has
closed, before it has even started playing. This makes me think that
it is receiving some information it can't handle in the stream, or
that it doesn't understand.

Again, this only seems to happen with files encoded by avconv in MP4
container format, regardless of AAC codec chosen. The Nero AAC encoded
files work perfectly in any command line player or the Flash-based web
players.

Best Regards,
Oliver