[libav-tools] Libdc1394 and Avconv

Janne Grunau janne-libav at jannau.net
Tue Nov 20 00:46:15 CET 2012

On 2012-11-16 14:27:39 +1000, AlexDV wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
>  From what I have been able to work out, AVCONV should support video
> capture from Libdc1394 device using the libdc1394 command however I can
> not get it to work from the command line.
>
> How do you capture video from a libdc1394 compliant device? Can someone
> give me a command line example?

something like avconv -f libdc1394 -i hw:0,0 ... might work

> I have a PointGrey firewire camera which I can use and capture video
> with Coriander (GUI program) however the command line is where I would
> like to process the video feed. (live video encoded straight to MPEG4
> file with a new file created every 5 minutes)

avconv -f libdc1394 -i hw:0,0 \
       -c:v libx264    -profile:v main -preset medium -crf 21 \
       -c:a libfdk_aac -profile:a aac_he_v2 -b:a 128k         \
       -f segment -segment_time 300 test%03d.mp4

might do what you want. Please not that libdc1394 input is a very rarely
used feature. I don't think any of the developers has compatible device.
If this doesn't work we need much more information of what you've tried
and the errors/results of that.

HTH Janne