[libav-tools] NTP time as creation_time in captured segments

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Fri Aug 24 13:59:57 CEST 2012

On 8/21/12 6:21 AM, Alexander Garden wrote:
> I am using avconv to capture a live stream of video over RTSP,
> segmented into five minute chunks, written to disk as mp4 files. I
> would like to write the NTP time for the beginning of each segment to
> the file metadata. Is this possible?

You might add an option to the rtp demuxer and preserve the information
as metadata but is something quite specific.

> If there isn't any way to capture the NTP time, I'd like to at least
> write the local file creation time in the metadata, like the old
> -timestamp option in ffmpeg. That option is gone, and in my tests I
> have been unable to write any metadata when using segmentation. Am I
> doing something wrong or is this simply not supported?

The information should be present already in your filesystem I guess.

I'm wondering if you are using the segment muxer. In that case might be
simpler to extend the playlist creation feature to add some additional
information.