[libav-tools] NTP time as creation_time in captured segments

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:03:25 CEST 2012

2012/8/21 Alexander Garden <tolaythisbodydown at gmail.com>:
> I am using avconv to capture a live stream of video over RTSP,
> segmented into five minute chunks, written to disk as mp4 files. I
> would like to write the NTP time for the beginning of each segment to
> the file metadata. Is this possible?

Just have your system clock synchronized well.

> If there isn't any way to capture the NTP time, I'd like to at least
> write the local file creation time in the metadata, like the old
> -timestamp option in ffmpeg. That option is gone, and in my tests I
> have been unable to write any metadata when using segmentation. Am I
> doing something wrong or is this simply not supported?

Can't help with libav.org version, but for ffmpeg.org there's a recent
commit that allows this:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=28ff17fa9761706ec5f07c07ce9ff04816536749
So try ffmpeg from git, and pass to muxer such option:
-use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1
If this does not help, you should either fix this option, or write
your own application which sets timestamps.
--
Andrey Utkin