[libav-tools] NTP time as creation_time in captured segments

Alexander Garden tolaythisbodydown at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 06:21:50 CEST 2012

I am using avconv to capture a live stream of video over RTSP,
segmented into five minute chunks, written to disk as mp4 files. I
would like to write the NTP time for the beginning of each segment to
the file metadata. Is this possible?

If there isn't any way to capture the NTP time, I'd like to at least
write the local file creation time in the metadata, like the old
-timestamp option in ffmpeg. That option is gone, and in my tests I
have been unable to write any metadata when using segmentation. Am I
doing something wrong or is this simply not supported?

Thanks,
Alexander