[libav-tools] avconv - mixing two audio files

Zimmermann Marina marina.zimmermann at epfl.ch
Tue Aug 7 10:27:18 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

I just started using avconv in order to mix two audio files. So in the online documentation I found the following command:

avconv -i INPUT1 -i INPUT2 -filter_complex amix=inputs=2:duration=first:dropout_transition=3 OUTPUT

However, running this gives me the following error:

Unrecognized option 'filter_complex'
Failed to set value 'amix=inputs=2:duration=first:dropout_transition=3' for option 'filter_complex'

If I understand this correctly, also by reading the manual on ubuntu, the filter-complex part is not defined (not configured?).
I have been trying to find a solution for some time now, but can't find anything.

I currently have version 0.8.3-4:0.8.3-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 of avconv.
Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced with this so maybe someone can tell me if I have to change something in the configurations
or use a different version of avconv. In case you know any other methods with which I could mix the audio files, please let me know.

Thank you for your help.
Best,
Marina