[libav-tools] pngenc compression level

Uri Okrent Uriel.Okrent at disneyanimation.com
Tue May 3 20:55:37 CEST 2011

Hey guys, based on this:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uP_EPJI98igJ:lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-October/036474.html+ffmpeg+png+compression&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

it seems there is some way to set the compression level when using
pngenc (-vcodec png).  I can't seem to figure out how to do it though.
I tried -compression_level, but that doesn't seem to be doing what I
expect.  It has an effect on the result but its always far larger than
the source.

My source is 84 frames of uncompressed tiffs which are 222 MB in size
altogether.  With compression level 0 my mov file is 534 MB, and with
level 9 it is 275 MB.  In either case it's much larger than the
uncompressed frames!  Something not right...

Thanks for the help!
--
    Uri

http://wwf.panda.org/savepaper/