[libav-stable] On2 vp7 decoder in libav ?

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 21:04:48 CET 2014

Hi all,
First please CC me if you are going to reply as I've disabled mail
from the list as I saw and did suspect that this is and will be a
high-traffic list.

After that, thank you all the users, bug-reporters, triagers,
scripters, developers for giving us libav library.

Now to my issue I had a few media files in the past which used
Google's On2 vp7 codec and would not play. On further  I did find that
the vp7 codec was owned by On2 and then On2 itself was acquired by
Google but that's beside the point.

I am a debian user and found that only couple of codecs/formats which
are not in libav nor in ffmpeg, one of which is On2vp7 decoder. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_codecs for details.
I had found a better table than this somewhere on the web but now
can't find it again (for codecs support by various free software
libraries which provide conversion, play, stream and process audio and
video for the end user (i.e. me).

Now it seems ffmpeg is starting to move to give/share On2vp7 decoder
support to it's library.

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2014-February/154080.html

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2014-February/154625.html

Now, could somebody tell/share if we could expect some similar
movement on libav as well ?

This is the current of libav at my end.

$ avconv -version
avconv version 9.11-6:9.11-1, Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the Libav developers
  built on Feb  5 2014 05:34:56 with gcc 4.8 (Debian 4.8.2-14)
avconv 9.11-6:9.11-1
libavutil     52.  3. 0 / 52.  3. 0
libavcodec    54. 35. 0 / 54. 35. 0
libavformat   54. 20. 3 / 54. 20. 3
libavdevice   53.  2. 0 / 53.  2. 0
libavfilter    3.  3. 0 /  3.  3. 0
libavresample  1.  0. 1 /  1.  0. 1
libswscale     2.  1. 1 /  2.  1. 1

Looking forward to know more. Till l8er.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल