[libav-devel] Using Co-authored-by instead of Signed-off-by

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Wed Jan 9 10:29:16 CET 2019

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, Luca Barbato wrote:

> Since the start of the project we used Signed-off-by to signal that a
> patch had been edited.

I'd like to point out that you might have had this interpretation of it
and used it in this way, but it hasn't been a written project wide rule
that this is the intended interpretation in this context. I've used it as
a general "I approve of"-mark.

> Currently git (and github/gitlab) has support for `Co-authored-by:`.
>
> It isn't as nice as `Signed-off-by:` since there isn't a easy shorthand
> such as `-s` that I know, but possibly could be nice to use.

That sounds like a much better thing to use, especially as Signed-off-by
has different interpretations in different projects.

// Martin