[libav-devel] Quick notes from the Tech Meeting held at the VDD
gseanmcg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:02:58 CET 2017
On Sep 26, 2017 07:55, "Luca Barbato" <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
Here some point-lists with a really coarse summary based on Sean's notes
and my editing.
TL;DR: New major release within 3 months, help welcome!
• Sean McGovern (note taker)
• Maxym Dmytrychenko
• Mark Thompson
• Diego Biurrun
• Anton Khirnov
• Luca Barbato
• Martin Storsjö
• Janne Grunau
• Vittorio Giovara
• Yogender Gupta
• Vladimir Pantelic
• release/13 Coming soon (January?)
Features we definitely want:
• MVC (Anton), almost done, discussion on how to signal the view
a frame belongs.
• OpenCL/CUDA filters (Yogender, Mark), work mostly done, pending
review and eventual merge. Some concerns on when and where the
cuda kernels are compiled. npp should be deprecated in favour of
CUDA filters due libnpp limitations/inflexibility.
• VPP (Maxym), the bulk of it is already in, some work pending
(see my patch about joining sessions for an example)
• Get VLC to use newer hwaccel interface (Anton), would make easier
to drop the legacy cruft.
• CUVID Decoding (Anton), according to Yogender it is fine already.
• Better hw accelerated filter chains (Luca, Mark, Anton, Yogender),
currently you have to rely on tutorials to get the chain right
• friendlier error messages to explain what to do (Mark)
• explicit h/w contexts (Mark, Luca, Anton), nice to have but
not necessary, requires more work
• shortcuts for commonly used filters chains (Luca)
• Audio layout (ambisonics and friends) work (Vittorio, Anton),
a final review started after the meeting.
• Display mastering metadata (Vittorio), the feature proposed by
Steve requires some overhaul before landing.
• avplay: time for migrating to SDL2? (Luca), SDL1.2 is pretty much
On the fence:
• Single-in multi-out codec handling (Luca), is needed to leverage
the new x265 API to output multi-bitrate streams in a single pass,
shouldn't be much work but needs testing and have Pradeep to confirm
how it is supposed to work.
• Complete the deployment of new bitstream reader (Diego, Anton),
Few codecs are missing, devoting some time to find and remove the
slowdown seems the best path.
• release/14 Items (what needs more time and won't fit 13)
• Provide better handling of codec reconfiguration (Luca), possibly
add some options in avconv to generate chapters or even cut the file
(requires some overhaul to the chapter API).
• Rewrite YADIF from scratch (Anton), some assumptions made while that
code was written are going to not apply anymore.
• Move the I/O to libavio and overhaul it (Luca), Martin pointed out
that before that the RTP/RTSP layer should be reworked.
• Is libavdevice still useful? (Anton), it is mainly for capture while
playback tends to have enough issues regarding syncronization that
make it less usable than it should.
• different API (Anton), probably it should not try to fit avformat.
• avgrab? (Anton), a separate tool might be nice to have.
• Are we missing any hardware acceleration library support? (Anton)
• VideoToolbox on MacOS (Luca)
• AMD-specific (Luca)
libav-devel mailing list
libav-devel at libav.org
It's been almost 2 months since VDD -- have we made any head-way on these?
Are any of them able to be finished in short order? Like say the SDL2
Has anyone talked to the VLC people about the newer hwaccel stuff at least?
Sorry for being a bit of a nag,
-- Sean McG.
More information about the libav-devel