[libav-devel] What does "1k tbr" mean?

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sun Aug 30 11:28:08 CEST 2015

On 30/08/15 09:24, Bryan Huh wrote:
> For example:
>     Stream #0:0: Video: flv1, yuv420p, 1280x800, 512 kb/s, 1k tbr, 1k tbn,
> 1k tbc
>
> I have usually assumed that "tbr" is approximately the fps of the video,
> but that doesn't seem to be correct in the cases where it's in the "#k"
> format...

This string comes from an ancient and long deprecated version of libav,
I guess, could you print the full output so I can see the version?

tbr used to signal an estimate of the frame rate.

currently we print the average fps, the stream/container timebase and
the codec timebase.

the timebase and fps are expressed in fraction 1/s, so 1k means that the
time unit is 1/1000s.