[libav-devel] IIS Smooth Streaming

aviad rozenhek aviadr1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:26:09 CET 2011

I'm doing some hacking around the IIS Smooth streaming format.
Microsoft provides an SDK called "IIS Smooth Streaming Format SDK" which
will enable me to contribute a libav muxer based on this SDK in a few days.
the microsoft SDK has C interface, is not open source, and it is windows
only. I am not aware of any licensing issues.

while the smooth streaming format should be very similar to a .mp4 file.
it is centered around using 'moof' and 'mdat' atoms, along with some other
microsoft-specific atoms which supposedly could be ignore for file playback.
unfortunately I am not aware of any tool that can demux, parse or play
these files without using IIS-webserver as intermediary.

the format itself is documented in a document called "Protected
Interoperable File Format (PIFF) Specification
1.0<http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9682897>
"

I think that this segmentation protocol has some interesting ideas and
merits

--
Aviad Rozenhek