[libav-api] No PTS set after decoding, H264 - libavcodec

Sergio Basurco sergio.b at coherentsynchro.com
Thu Sep 21 14:13:34 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I'm using Live555 to receive an H264 stream from a camera. I am using
libavcodec to decode the stream, and later OpenGL to render. All of that
is working.

However, as soon as I get a frame, I render it. This causes some image
stuttering, as I'm not using timestamp info... Now, I'm trying to
retreive the presentation timestamp (PTS) from the decoded AVFrame, but
this value is not set (set to AV_NOPTS_VALUE).

 From Live555 h264 parsing, I only get NAL unit PTS, which I set to the
avpacket for decoding (packet->pts).

I also do not have a proper AVCodecCtx->time_base, neither the camera
provides the time_base (time_scale) info in the SPS/PPS (it is optional
according to the standard).

How could I, in this scenario, account for presentation timestamps? I'm
sure there's something else I'm not using or misusing. But can't really
spot it.

--

Saludos / Best regards,

*Sergio Basurco*