[libav-api] h.264 encoded frame sizes

Flohr, Julius julius.flohr at uni-due.de
Thu Sep 17 16:32:47 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on traffic models which simulate streaming of h.264 encoded video material over RTP.
Therefore I’m mostly interested in the different (encoded) frame sizes generated by a live video encoder which are then transferred to a remote decoder.

I guess the relevant information for me is the size field of the AVPacket which gets passed to the decoder, or am I wrong?
However, for an h.264 encoded example video I found that the sizes of P (and B) frames are significantly larger than the I frames. This is exactly the opposite of what I would have expected. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Julius

Julius Flohr, M.Sc.
University of Duisburg-Essen