[libav-api] Packed RGB formats missing from libav

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Fri Sep 4 02:42:29 CEST 2015

On 03/09/15 17:28, Patric Schmitz wrote:
> So, how would I go from here?

Check for their presence and do not add them in the case.

> Does libav use other identifiers for those formats which I could use,
> and which are present in libav as well as ffmpeg? What's the specific
> reason those formats are not supported?

Those formats are a shorthand for "RGBA with A ignored so is fine to
leave it as 0", used to avoid fitting the alpha channel with 255 in
formats that do not really support alpha...

Some of our users usually do complain whenever a new pixel format is
added (it is a reason why I'm still halfway adding CFA (such as Bayer)
support as codec), so we keep the number of pixel formats down to the
bare minimum.

> Maybe they make no sense whatsoever and should be dropped from the
> software I'm building?

Probably.