[libav-api] Packed RGB formats missing from libav

Patric Schmitz bzk0711 at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 17:28:02 CEST 2015

Hi list,

I'm porting a software which builds fine against ffmpeg-2.6/2.7
to a system using libav. I get compilation errors that the
"packed RGB formats" AV_PIX_FMT_0RGB etc. are not defined:

error: 'PIX_FMT_0BGR' undeclared (first use in this function)

Now I investigated a bit and saw that the formats got introduced
to the ffmpeg repo with commit
b14a2381f8882f21369bd4680dc17ae7db81e886 on Mon Nov 28 02:44:05
2011 +0100 "pixfmt: Add 32bit rgb without alpha formats".

Searching through the whole libav repo, however, yields no
results whatsoever. It seems those formats never made it into
libav, but maybe I'm just missing them. They are certainly not
present in libav-11.3, the version I'm using on Gentoo and
trying to build my software against.

There is this libav-devel post which suggests adding the
respective formats
https://www.mail-archive.com/libav-devel@libav.org/msg35273.html
but it seems that never happened.

So, how would I go from here? Does libav use other identifiers
for those formats which I could use, and which are present in
libav as well as ffmpeg? What's the specific reason those
formats are not supported? Maybe they make no sense whatsoever
and should be dropped from the software I'm building?

Thanks and best regards
--
Patric Schmitz <bzk0711 at aol.com>