[libav-api] x264 version conflict

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sun Jun 1 10:24:22 CEST 2014

On 26/05/14 21:17, Jonas Deitmerg wrote:
> On 05/23/2014 06:28 PM, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> On 20/05/14 20:36, Jonas Deitmerg wrote:
>>> Hello everyone.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get libav to work with x264 and have some problems:
>>>
>>> Installation of libx264 (with --enable-shared) worked without a problem.
>>> Configuring (with --enable-libx264), building and installing libav
>>> didn't give
>>> any errors either.
>>>
>>> Now, when linking against libavcodec.so, ld complains this needs
>>> libx264.so.138, which it cannot find, as the installed version is
>>> libx264.so.142. Generating a softlink (.138) to the .142 file doesn't solve
>>> the problem.
>>> My question is: Is there a way to tell libav which version of libx264 to
>>> use?
>>>

>> How many version of x264 you have installed? you can pass an extra
>> ldflag with the -L/path/to/x264/lib probably.
>
> Turns out make install of libav doesn't install libavcodec, at least for
> me. Updating ffmpeg fixed the error, though that is still not what I want.

Probably it installs the static library while you are asking for the
shared one your system provides. --enable-shared would fix that for you.

> In my understanding both ffmpeg and libav provide libavcodec, and their
> APIs are not compatible, am I right on that?

Probably or probably not, FFmpeg merges everything we do daily and they
event went to the point they do releases when we do so might just work.

> So to work with libav, I cannot just install it on my system, as it
> would replace ffmpeg libraries which provide APIs needed by other programs?

Beside programs using ffmpeg-only libraries (e.g. libswresample instead
of libavresample) you shouldn't have issues.

> If someone could shed some light on this naming confusion, I'd be quite
> grateful.

I hope it helped.