[libav-api] Problem decoding mp3 files

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sat Dec 6 12:36:09 CET 2014

On 05/12/14 14:39, Florian Iragne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i made an audio decoder based on libav. It works well.
>
> I've come accross two mp3 files that can't be decoded by my decoder. It
> fails on avformat_find_stream_info  with the message "operation not
> permitted"
>
> Avplay can't read the files properly:
>   * for the first one, it ends immediately with :
> [mpeg @ 0x7fef0c005c60] Could not find codec parameters (Video:
> [0][0][0][0] / 0x0000)
> [NULL @ 0x7fef0c004fc0] start time is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
> test.mp3: could not find codec parameters
>
>   * for the second one, it reads the file, however, no sound. The header
> of the file seems invalid.
>
> mplayer, vlc are able to play the files.
>
> The files seems to be invalid, so i've not yet submited a bug report.

The first file you got me seems to have a very large cover image, by
default we have 5M as probe limit, the cover image is about as large,
adding -probesize 10M solve the problem.

The other file is even more interesting since it is on the bordeline
between being probed as mp3 or as mpegps.

After looking at it a little I came with a patch now on review, thanks a
lot for the reporting.