[libav-api] Encoding Hi10P

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Oct 1 12:08:12 CEST 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 18:35:10 +0900, Yuta Ooka <yuta.ooka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Hi10P videos. I would like to encode it into general profile.
> I encoded with this command:
>
> avconv -i <input file> -c:v libx264 -c:a libfaac <output file>
>
> But I don't know whether I could encoded to general profile.
> How can I do it?

Whether you encode into a 8 or 10-bit format depends on the build of libx264
your libavcodec is linking to. You can find out which it is with

avconv -h encoder=libx264

It should print a bunch of stuff, among them

Supported pixel formats: ....

If you see yuv420p among the pixel formats, your build is 8bit, if yuva420p10le
is there it's 10bit.

If your build of libx264 is 10bit, but you want to encode 8bit, then you must
rebuild x264 in 8bit mode (that is the default). If lavc is dynamically linked
against libx264 then it's enough to replace the libx264 library. Otherwise you
then have to rebuild libav against this new libx264.

--
Anton Khirnov