[libav-api] Problems with H.264 encoding

Ondřej Perutka perutka.ondrej at gmail.com
Thu May 9 22:57:36 CEST 2013

Hello,

I compiled Libav with enabled libx264 and tried to encode a video using my
application and H.264 encoder. The result was quite surprising. The video
stream from the resulting file could not be played although encoding passed
with no error and audio stream from the same file was OK.

Using different container makes no change. Video stream works fine if I use
another encoder (e.g. mpeg4, flv, h263p, mpeg2 etc.).

I compared encoding codec context in my application and avconv using gdb.
There were no differences. But there were big differences in resulting file
from my application and avconv (using same encoder settings). The result
from avconv worked fine and was about 4 times smaller.

When I tried to open and decode the result from my app, the pix_fmt field
of the decoder context was set to NONE and the decoder was refusing all
video packets from the stream.

Do you have any idea where could be a problem?

Best regards,
Ondřej Perutka