[libav-api] Understanding and working with sws_scale

Eric Urban hydrogen18 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 00:03:42 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 19/03/13 01:54, Eric Urban wrote:
> > I have reverse engineered what appears to be a proprietary protocol used
> by
> > many Chinese designed and manufactured security DVRs. I'm able to extract
> > h.264 frames from a TCP Data Stream. Initially I was able just writing
> all
> > the frames one after another to a file and using avconv to convert to
> > another video format. The video looks fine, so I am assuming I am doing
> it
> > correctly

Great, would be possible integrate it as an avdevice or a protocol?

That should be possible. Once I have a better documented proof on concept
I'll post to one of the lists and see if it is suitable for integration
into libav. Otherwise my intent is to license it with a LGPL-compatible
license.

> > Since then I've gotten to the point where I can use libav to decode the
> > packets. This of course results in an AVFrame. Right now I am trying to
> > figure out a way to write out the most current frame to a still image. My
> > current understanding of libav is that the pixel format is depending on
> the
> > source data, in this case h.264. Either way, it appears it is accessible
> > from decoding context struct  AVCodecContext::pix_fmt.
>
> Yes
>

> > Apparently if I just wanted to re-encode this in a better supported
> > streaming format it would be easy. But to make these security cameras
> work
> > with open source software like motion I really need to be able to produce
> > stills. My logic is that if I can convert the pixels into something like
> > RGBA, I can from there easily write to whatever format I want like ppm,
> > jpeg, etc. Apparently this is done with the function sws_scale. The
> context
> > is easy enough to create with sws_getContext. But I really have no idea
> > what the parameters to sws_scale should be.
>
> you could have a look at output-example.c

 I found the  'libavformat/output-example.c' . I will read through it to
try and understand it better. Thanks.