[libav-api] Is there a list of container/codec combinations that work or not?

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Oct 18 15:10:01 CEST 2012

On 10/16/2012 09:16 PM, Ray Swartz wrote:
> I've incorporated libavcodec into a tool we use, and the project manager
> has this idea that we should allow the user to select any combination of
> container/codec they want (allow by default, instead of having a restricted
> list).  Does the libavcodec libraries have any documentation for what
> combinations are allowable?

in short:

webm -> vorbis + vp8 (easy)

mov/mp4/etc -> h264 + aac (ignore the rest)

nut -> everything (but the format is antispecified, do not use it for
anything but transient storage for now)

mkv -> everything but raw formats due some specification quirk, help in
fixing it or bounty for fixing it welcome.

flv -> h264 + aac/spark (ignore the rest for your sanity)

avi -> ignore it for your sanity

the problem in mov is interesting, you might report in detail in our
bugzilla or here.