[libav-api] Is there a list of container/codec combinations that work or not?

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:46:38 CEST 2012

2012/10/16 Ray Swartz <rayswartz at gmail.com>:
> I've incorporated libavcodec into a tool we use, and the project manager has
> this idea that we should allow the user to select any combination of
> container/codec they want (allow by default, instead of having a restricted
> list).  Does the libavcodec libraries have any documentation for what
> combinations are allowable?  Unfortunately combinations like MP4/RAWVIDEO
> cause a crash in frac_add(), so they don't fail smoothly.  Thus we have to
> figure out what works, and with the table of formats and codecs this is
> time-consuming.  Is there a way of finding out other than trial-and-crash?

libav does not hold such compatibility table.
To avoid extensive trial, check what container supports by
specification. Also check what the playback devices support in your
case.
I personally don't know if MP4 must support raw video. But a crash is
surely a bug, so please retry with latest revision from git, and file
a detailed bug report if problem persists.

--
Andrey Utkin