[libav-api] Is there a list of container/codec combinations that work or not?

Ray Swartz rayswartz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:16:09 CEST 2012

I've incorporated libavcodec into a tool we use, and the project manager
has this idea that we should allow the user to select any combination of
container/codec they want (allow by default, instead of having a restricted
list).  Does the libavcodec libraries have any documentation for what
combinations are allowable?  Unfortunately combinations like MP4/RAWVIDEO
cause a crash in frac_add(), so they don't fail smoothly.  Thus we have to
figure out what works, and with the table of formats and codecs this is
time-consuming.  Is there a way of finding out other than trial-and-crash?

Thanks,
Ray