[libav-api] Stream video from OpenGL application

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:28:59 CEST 2012

2012/5/8 Daniel Henell <henell at gmail.com>:
> Hi!
>
> I have a OpenGL application that I need to monitor from another
> computer on the network. I tried using different VNC software but the
> performance was very bad. Then I came up with the idea to use libav to
> stream the output of the program (using glReadPixels) and use VLC to
> connect to this stream.
>
> I spent last day trying to get it to work without any success. I
> couldn't find any code examples on how to set up RTP/UDP/or any kind
> of streaming.
>
> This is my code (Sorry, it's a bit ugly at the moment):
>
> http://pastebin.com/7YkbGbDn (VideoEncoder.h)
> http://pastebin.com/v60Q5cY4  (VideoEncoder.cc)

I think it would be easier to send the stream as MPEG TS over UDP.
Thus you don't need a separate server to receive this publish, and you
don't have to form SDP.
I believe it is not easy by libavformat to prepare RTP stream with
auto generated SDP that can be consumed without having RTSP server for
restreaming it.

--
Andrey Utkin