[libav-api] FLV Encoding Latency

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Wed Jul 4 15:15:06 CEST 2012

On 06/29/2012 07:34 PM, Mark Kenna wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Is there any way to reduce the latency of encoded video?

If it is due the time the encoder spends processing then you don't have
much to do, if the problem is the player buffering a lot then you have
some tricks, if the problem is the muxer taking its dear time for some
internal reasons, again you could bend it for your purposes.

> So I have a GOP size of 5 which requires an input of 5~10 frames before
> I get anything written to file, taking into account possible delay
> between frames this is causing a huge "offset" from receiving the first
> frame to actually getting some encoded video output. I have tried:

> 1. Reducing GOP size to 1 - works but causes massive video files (not
>    acceptable)
> 2. Writing a "placeholder" frame a number of times before the first
>    "real" frame - still has a delay on playback (somehow)

3. flush packets as they are available, the first frame is an I frame so
it must be available as soon the encoder is done.

4. Artificially rise the frame rate adding empty packets (if you are
referring to flv)

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero