[libav-api] Need support to solve the problem in libavformat, which led to a seeking problem in MPlayer2.exe

Sumudu F sumuduf2011 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:52:47 CET 2012

I’m working with the new MPlayer2.exe under windows in slave mode. I really
need a solution for this seeking problem in MPlayer2,  when seeking in
MPEG1 program stream files.

I want to do a precise seek in a MPEG1 program stream files(m2v video with
mp2 audio), using the new MPlayer2.exe precise seek command,  seek <value>
[type] [hr-seek].

The way I used the command is,

seek <value> [type] [hr-seek]

        type = 2 is a seek to an absolute position of <value> seconds.

        hr-seek = 1 means force precise seek if possible.

In my C code I gave the command with the <value>  for the time position as
a double, calculated for the required frame.  ("seek %f 2 1", fTime).

  Eg- ‘seek  4.28  2  1’

This works for MPEG2 program stream files(m2v video with mp2 audio), and
other types like .AVI.

But for MPEG1 program stream files  it jumps only to the key frames and not
to the exact frame as expected.

I have uploaded MPEG1 program stream sample files at,

http://uploading.com/files/46f51fcc/Mpeg1_mid.mpg/

http://uploading.com/files/aeda943b/Mpeg1_small.mpg/

When I asked about this from Mplayer2 support team, they told me that , *“When
explicitly*

*specifying --demuxer=lavf the libavformat demuxer is successfully*

*opened, but it then fails to do time-based seeking properly with this*

*file (the only position it successfully seeks to is the beginning).”*

*
http://lists.mplayer2.org/pipermail/mplayer2-users/2011-December/000039.html
*

* *

When I asked further, *Uoti Urpala* <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> from Mplayer2
replied me as,

*It's a problem in libavformat, not directly in mplayer2 code.*

So, could you please help me with this? Can I get a solution to my problem
through libavformat ?
Will you be able to correct libavformat library to support time-based
seeking properly with MPEG1 program stream files?