[libav-api] Community support for a dedicated multimedia broadcast and streaming technologies Q&A site

aviad rozenhek aviadr1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 12:17:58 CEST 2012

Dear multimedia technology experts and users,

I would like to ask for your help and support for the Broadcast & Media
technologies<http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/36807/broadcast-and-media-technologies?referrer=YOWZ0wFlhAoqpGpL-P5bMg2>Q&A
site on stackexchange.

*how*
this should take only a few minutes, as you can register with openid with
gmail, facebook or yahoo id.
all you have to do is login, press the "follow" button, and then upvote
some interesting questions.

*why*
right now the multimedia community has lots of niche mailing lists and
message boards.
this makes the subject matter harder to learn, and harder to find good
existing answers to common questions.
worse still, even on very niche MLs such as libav usage there are too few
people answering questions, which may be frustrating for a user.

why am I suggesting yet another Q&A site as the answer to this problem?

[image: Inline image 1] <http://xkcd.com/927/>

well, stackoverflow <http://stackoverflow.com> has a reputation for being
the best programming-related Q&A site in the world, and
stackexchange<http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/36807/broadcast-and-media-technologies?referrer=YOWZ0wFlhAoqpGpL-P5bMg2>
is
the best Q&A site *platform*.
there are already 80 followers for the media and broadcast technologies
proposal<http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/36807/broadcast-and-media-technologies?referrer=YOWZ0wFlhAoqpGpL-P5bMg2>,
with a few more followers, and enough questions upvoted to 10 we could
build a home for multimedia Q&A on the web.

*what*
*
*
here are example questions that need your upvote:

   - Why is MPEG-4 a good thing in comparison to MPEG-2?
   - How to embed metadata (or custom tables) with MPEG2 transport stream
   (MPEG-TS)?
   - What open/source free tools can generate movies with a Fragmented MP4
   container?
   - How do I reorder MPEG2 frames from coded to presentation order?
   - How open is this proposal to streaming media and encoding
questions?<http://discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/questions/4002/how-open-is-this-proposal-to-streaming-media-and-encoding-questions>

*Discussion:*
*
*
if you have any questions about the proposal, want to suggest pet questions
or discussion topics, the best place to do so is in the proposal itself.

many thanks

--
Aviad Rozenhek