[libav-api] Decoded video timestamping

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:02:18 CET 2011

In ffmpeg's libavformat, in AVFrame there is a field
best_effort_timestamp that provides pts corresponding to the pts of
decoded frame.
In libav's one there's no such field, but there are pkt_pts, pkt_dts.
But they have another sense, namely pts of last pushed AVPacket.
Is there, in libav, any established technique for easy getting a
timestamp corresponding to decoded frame?
I use best_effort_timestamp when i link my app with ffmpeg, and
pkt_pts, when link with libav. With libav the transcoded video is late
from sound.
I see that in avconv there's used guess_correct_pts() routine. If it
is the thing i ask, please, elaborate its logic.
--
Andrey Utkin