[libav-api] Writing to the ffserver

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:54:58 CEST 2011

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Andrew J. Barr
<andrew.james.barr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am writing a program that writes a video stream to FFserver's HTTP socket. I cannot
> use the ffmpeg command line tool because it cannot read my video stream source, so
> I must read the stream myself. I am stuck trying to get past this problem: the program
> writes a single frame or two to FFserver and then dies on a SIGPIPE trying to write
> more. FFserver indicates it received a POST of 4096 bytes. I have been unable to
> determine why this is and have no real idea what the right way to do this is.

Have you replicated ffmpeg.c's logic to determine stream settings and
buffer size settings by contacting the running ffserver instance?

Also, not to flame but just in case you didn't think of it, it may be
easier to add the stream source to libavdevice/libavformat than to
replicate the whole of ffmpeg in your own program... ffmpeg.c looks
simple but is, unfortunately, very complex...

Ronald