[libav-api] H264 and FLV

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:38:24 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Mark Kenna
<mark.kenna at sureviewsystems.com> wrote:
> In my application I take various video data formats and transcode them to
> FLV (H264/AAC). My question is this:
>
> If the input format were H264, is there any way that I can just put this
> into an FLV container (using av_write_frame/av_interleaved_write_frame)
> without having to decode and then re-encode it?

ffmpeg-the-commandlinetool has the -vcodec copy option for that. It's
a little more complex because H264 can be annexB or MP4 (see the
bitstream filter), so you may have to convert between the two, but
other than that it pretty much "just works", yes.

Ronald