[libav-api] read UDP Stream

Evgeny Yakimov john.yakimov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 15:17:29 CET 2011

Hmm, I recommend you first make sure that VLC is pushing a UDP stream that
libav can actually read,

The easiest way to do this would be to compile libav with avconv (or
ffmpeg) which is enabled by default anyways and run:
avconv -i udp://:1500 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts /tmp/test.ts

If you get a lot of errors and it takes ages to open the file , then your
UDP buffer size maybe too small, this link explains how to do it (you dont
need to set any tcp settings)
http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~sparkst/howto/network_tuning.php

I've tried to put together an example made from my scenario, it misses some
variable declerations such as pkt, orig and the AVStreams AVCodecContexts
and a few other things, but you can work them out from the return types of
the libav function calls:

http://pastebin.com/8sz3kJHe

You can find more info on the library reference here:
http://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/trunk/avformat_8h.html#10a404346c646e4ab58f4ed798baca32

Evgeny