[libav-api] Piping in ffmpeg? Using Libav to write to RTMP directly?

Jieyun Fu jieyunfu at mit.edu
Fri Apr 15 18:19:35 CEST 2011

Hi Ronald,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (This may fit better on -tools.)
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Jieyun Fu <jieyunfu at mit.edu> wrote:
> > One short version of the question: is there anyway to let Libav write to
> > RTMP server directly? I only know how to write to a file on the disk,
> from
> > output-example.c.
> >
> > A very slightly longer version of the question: I have a video generator
> > that generates the video using libav, and is able to write the video into
> > file on the disk. Now, I need to use ffmpeg to send this file to a RTMP
> > server simultaneously, when this video is being generated.
> >
> > One way to solve this problem, is to let this video generator write the
> > video to say, output.flv, and then while this video is still being
> written,
> > fork a process from the video generator that executes:
> >
> >  ffmpeg -re -i output.flv -f flv rtmp://server/output/ ( just an example,
> > skipped many parameters)
> >
> > But is there anyway to use piping to avoid writing to the disk and then
> call
> > ffmpeg, but let ffmpeg takes my video generator as its input directly?
>
> Why not just output to rtmp:// directly then?
>
> Ronald

Thank you very much for your reply. ffmpeg binaries has an option "-re", in
my intuitive and unprofessional understanding, this means encode the video
to rtmp:// at a nearly real-time rate. Aka if the video lasts 10 seconds,
ffmpeg will deliberately take 10 seconds to stream this video to rtmp://. Is
there anyway for libav to achieve that?

Thank you again. BTW, what's the difference between libav-api and
libav-tools?