[libav-api] detecting format changes

aviad rozenhek aviadr1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 17:01:19 CEST 2011

when handling MPEG-TS over UDP, it is sometimes the case after probing has
finished, and demuxing and decoding has begun,
that new PIDs with new audio or video streams are available, and that PIDs
that are demuxed are no longer available.
additionally, it is sometimes the case that the video parameters such as
resolution or codec have changed in the same PID.

these can happen when a multicasting a playlist containing different TS
files encoded differently,
or when one multicast stream is stopped and another starts instead.

the question:
is it possible to detect these situations using libav* API?
If I can detect the situation I can restart the processing pipeline
[demuxer, codecs, filters etc] to adapt to new resolutions, codecs, PIDs
etc.

thanks,
--
Aviad Rozenhek