[Ffmpeg-user] "soft telecine"

herve.flores herve.flores at free.fr
Sun Feb 19 10:41:35 CET 2006

Le 19 févr. 06 à 03:19, ffmpeg-user-request at mplayerhq.hu a écrit :

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:31:17 -0500
> From: Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>
> Subject: Re: [Ffmpeg-user] "soft telecine"
> To: FFMpeg user questions and RTFMs <ffmpeg-user at mplayerhq.hu>
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 08:24:14AM -0500, Arant, Wayne wrote:
>> Rich, I appreciate the answer, and what I'm asking is if it skips
>> fields when it is decoding, or if it keeps them in tact.
>
> It outputs exactly what is in the file, which is progressive frames.
> For the frames that were flagged to be displayed for 3 fields duration
> instead of 2, this is indicated in the structure returned. For frames
> that were flagged to start on the bottom field, this is also
> indicated.
>
>> The other part of the question is would it be better to specify a
>> lower framerate (could I tell it to ignore the flag, and just get
>> the origonal untelecined frames)
>
> Yes, this is what will naturally happen if you just consider the
> output as progressive frames at 24000/1001 fps and ignore the flags.

just for information (as Rich said) make an decoding/encoding with
framerate " -re" (instead of "-r pal" or -r ntsc" or "-r 25" or "-r
30000:1001", ...)
the "-re" parameter for framerate will just decode/encode your input
whitout forcing framerate (read your input at its own framerate and
write it "the same")
You'll will see (even if your input was a ntsc-film with pulldown)
that your output will be 24000:1001 too

PS: I asked once in the list about pulldown (or RepeatFirstField or
telecine ...) and ffmpeg but I ddin't have answer.
There's no way yet to add pulldown flag during the encoding directly
with ffmpeg?
(I use the opensource "pulldown" to add this flag after encoding,
this tool works great but it damage the internal timecode of the
stream, not dramatic just "ugly".)

>> As far as the CRAP... I don't add it to my e-mail, It is added at my
>> gateway. If it is too annoying, I'll have to switch e-mail
>> acccounts.
>
> Well it's not _extremely_ annoying, but members of this community are
> generally pissed off by threatening extralegal legalese and
> nondisclosure demands. If your company insists on appending this crap
> to your emails, are you sure they even want you to be emailing public
> lists from your company email account?
>
> BTW, please don't top-post either.
>
> Rich

bye